What Can One Person Do?
30 Days of Climate Action and Inspiration
We do not have to wait for anyone! Change can happen right where we live.
Crossing the Chasm
Yesterday, I asked that you consider living in the "stretch zone".
Today I'm going to ask you to stretch because we have a chasm to cross.
If you google solutions to global warming, you'll find loads of information online--usually in the form of "top 10" lists. The most visited of these lists fall into one of two categories:
(1) Separate personal lifestyle actions (change out your lights, recycle, etc) or
(2) Lobbying to change Governmental Policies (Pass a carbon tax, sign on to the Paris Climate accord)
It seems that there is quite a chasm between these.
Don't get me wrong, both these activities matter. Individual actions are important because they add up. And large policy issues are vital, and so writing and calling policymakers is important too.
But our whole human economic system needs to change! We need ways to successfully disrupt the destructive economic systems and ways to challenge dominant thought-patterns. We need to change the cultural story.
We can't do this with only those two levels of action.
Luckily, there are two more levels of action where real change happens.
Will Grant shares with the Pachamama Alliance how this works.
ACTION TODAY -
1. Watch Will Grant's discussion on Four Levels of Action here:
2. Remember your print out the list of drawdown solutions?
Most of the Drawdown solutions have a local or regional component where a small group of people can make a huge difference. For one of your favorite Drawdown Solutions... do a little local research.
what actions locally or regionally can help accelerate the adoption of this solution? Are there local groups already involved?
3. What would be the first step you could take to connect with others locally or regionally on this solution?
4. Stretch action: Take the step today. :-)
More stretching tomorrow,
Denise Rushing is an author, blogger, and environmental designer She is passionate about human-scale solutions to global challenges and creating a more beautiful future.