What Can One Person Do?
30 Days of Climate Action and Inspiration
How will historians tell the story of our time?
Let me ask you something. Which of these stories inspires you to take action?
Story One: "Global Warming is such a massive problem. It is too big to solve, so why even try? We are doomed. It's game over."
Story Two: "We are alive at one of the most significant moments in planetary history.. This is a gift-- an opportunity to be a part of the most important transformation in the history of humanity and create a better future for all life on Earth. Game on!"
Experts tell us there are three critical strategies at this pivotal moment:
(1) Do everything we can to halt destructive SOURCE activities that destroy natural systems and/or release carbon into the atmosphere
(2) Do everything we can to draw carbon down from the atmosphere as rapidly as possible
(3) Transform society into one that is just and sustainable.
I believe there is a fourth strategy that enables the other three:
(4) Chose the future we want to commit to. Change the story we tell ourselves about what is possible.
Here is how the historians will tell the story of our time:
When our collective future was at stake, one shift in human thought changed everything.
Suddenly, all at once, we believed we could reverse global warming.
We refused to give up. We stopped the destruction and set to work restoring living systems around the world.
It all started with people like you and me who not only believed that a better future was possible, but committed to making it happen.
We changed the story.
So that's where we are going with this. That's the goal of our work together--to find ways to change the story for ourselves and for others--through action and connection--so that humans can imagine, believe and create the "more beautiful world our hearts know is possible."
(1) What is your best next baby step to help reverse global warming?
(2) Take that step today, or at least remove a barrier to doing so.
Bonus: share in the comments below.
To a new story and a better future!
Denise Rushing is an author, blogger, and environmental designer She is passionate about human-scale solutions to global challenges and creating a more beautiful future.